I found a blog today that was linking up with Eat, Pray, Love…..Live! who had made up a 30 day challenge. I loved the idea so much I decided to participate in it myself. I wanted to do something that would allow my readers to get to know me better so I’m calling my 30 Day Challenge 30 Days Down Memory Lane.
You see this photo here? That’s the photo hubby and I used for our engagement. So you guessed it, I’ll be sharing with ya’ll how we met and take it from there until we hit 30 days. Buckle your seat belts!!!
In the beginning of 2003 I quickly (and not so gracefully) exited a 2-1/2 year old relationship I am so glad I let go of. It was very hard at the time, but looking back now I realize that the 2 of us were horrible for each other and probably would have driven each other crazy. At the very same time I began to get very involved with one of my church’s adult ministries called Mosaics where I met 3 very wonderful people: Tricia, Ezra, and Travis (hubby!).
It’s rather interesting how we all clicked so fast and became instant friends. As soon as we met we started hanging out anywhere and did everything together! There wasn’t a place we went without each other and we all talked about everything.
Meanwhile, a romance was brewing between hubby and I. However, because I was still pretty raw from my previous relationship I kept my distance. We still talked a lot (including on the phone), but I didn’t want to let him know that I was already falling for him because I was determined to stay single for at least a year.
The chemistry between us was intense! It was so overwhelming at times I had to get away from him for a moment so I could regroup and remind myself that I needed to keep away from boys for a while. I was telling the other female of the group all of the emotions running through my head and how much I liked Travis but how freaked out I was about getting together with him already. Unbeknownst to me hubby was unloading all his feelings to her as well. She very wisely did not share any of our information to the other person and kept her mouth shut until the opportune time.
After about a month of excitement it was summer time and I went home to Maui (we were on Oahu at the time) for a few months. I handed Travis my number not really expecting him to call me and said good-bye. Surprisingly it really didn’t bother me that he didn’t call me for several weeks. I figured he just wasn’t interested in me and since I was trying so hard to keep my distance I was perfectly ok with that.
Until one day he gave me the shock of my life and called me! When my mom told me about the man who called me when I came home one day I nearly fainted and yanked the number out of her hands. LOL! And of course, what happens when I call him??? He doesn’t answer the phone and I have to leave a message!!!
Stay tuned tomorrow when I’ll have more juicy details about our romance!
If you are interested in learning more about me and my life then check out the rest of the posts in this series:
- Day #2: Getting To Know Each Other Over The Phone
- Day #3: Our First Date
- Day #4: Making Things Official
- Day #5: Courting Bliss
- Day #6: Getting Engaged
- Day #7: Details About The Big Question
- Day #8: Our Engagement
- Day #9: Our Fairy Tale Wedding On The Beautiful Island Of Maui
- Day #10: Details Of Our Reception
- Day #11: Our Blissful Honeymoon
- Day #12: Our First Big Fight
- Day #13: How We Struggled After Leaving The Marine Corps
- Day #14: Moving To Texas
- Day #15: Losing My Father-In-Law And Creating New Life
- Day #16: A Recall From The Military
- Day #17: The Birth Of Our Daughter
- Day #18: Readmitting Ariela Into The Hospital And Saying Good-Bye To Hubby
- Day #19: Living In Oklahoma
- Day #20: Visiting Hubby One Last Time Before He Left For Iraq
- Day #21: Dealing With Demonic Oppression And What I Did About It
- Day #22: Moving Back To Texas And Preparing For Hubby’s Return
- Day #23: Hubby’s Return From Iraq And A Year Of Financial Stress
- Day #24: Getting Back Into The Military
- Day #25: The Birth Of Our Son
- Day #26: Moving To Our Next Duty Station
- Day #27: Buying Our First Home (A Duplex!)
- Day #28: My Testimony
- Day #29: Becoming Members Of T’Shuvat Yisrael
- Day #30: Why We Chose To Get Baptized Again