Missed the other posts in this series? You can view them here.
If you are not giving at least 10% of your income back to God then beware: you will suffer for it because you are stealing from your Creator. He will not allow you to prosper if you are too greedy to give even a small amount.
What God Says About Being Generous.
- Malachi 3:10 says to give a tenth of your income (gross) to the house of God. This is the only time God says to test Him. Since God is so adamant about not testing Him throughout the Bible, I was excited to find this verse, lol! Try testing him on this one and see what happens!
- Proverbs 22:9 says that we are blessed if we are generous.
- Isaiah 32:8 says that generosity keeps you standing.
The Difference Between The Tithe And The Offering.
I used to get confused every time I heard someone say “tithe’s and offerings.” They sounded different, but they were always brought up together as if they were the same.
Then my Rabi finally clarified it to me: The Tithe is 10% of your income and is required. The offering is not required, however you also want to be obedient if God prompts you to give to someone. The more you give, the more you’ll be blessed with.
What I suggest you do is give at least 10% of your gross income to your church or synagogue. These people running these places of worship have dedicated their lives to your spiritual well-being. If you do not help to support them financially, then don’t be surprised when they have to close their doors because they can’t afford to support you spiritually.
Anything above and beyond the tithe is an offering and does not necessarily need to go to your church/synagogue. If your pastor is telling you that the offering needs to go to the church as well then run! Fast! This is NOT biblical!!!
What if You’re Not Religious Or Don’t Believe In The Bible?
Maybe you’re thinking, “I’m not religious so this doesn’t apply to me.” Shut off your mind and LISTEN for a minute!
It doesn’t matter if you’re Buddhist, Atheist, Christian, Muslim, or Jewish: if you give back to those in need, YOU WILL BE BLESSED BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS!!!
Give to the poor and you will guarantee your success. Go ahead and say to yourself all you want that this isn’t true or that it doesn’t apply to you. All I hear is a big fat excuse.
This is just as much a law as gravity is. It doesn’t matter how many times you tell yourself that if you walk off a cliff that you won’t fall to your death. It doesn’t even matter if you’re ignorant of the fact that there is such a thing as gravity. You WILL fall to your death if you walk off that cliff.
The same applies to giving: if you do not give even just a little to the poor, you will remain poor yourself. You wanna be successful, then give. You wanna be rich? Then give. Stop coming up with excuses as to why you “can’t” give! There are numerous ways you can do this besides giving money.
All religions aside, try giving something to someone you know for sure is in need and you will be shocked with how wonderful you feel when their face lights up with gratefulness. It will become addicting! With every thing that you give your heart will grow and you will want to give more and more.
Ways You Can Give.
- Your Money: This is pretty much self explanatory, but what if you don’t have enough money to give without going hungry? Read on…
- Your Time: Most people don’t think of this one, but if you don’t have money to give, then give your time.
Figure out what skills you have and use them to bless others in need.
Can you fix roofs? Then give your time to help someone elderly fix their leaking roof.
Are you good with kids? Then find a single mom who needs a break and take care of her kids.
There’s always something you can give with your time.
- Your things: Is there something in your home you no longer need you can bless someone else with? Then give it away instead of holding on to it and letting it take up space in your house.
I remember when we were struggling financially and we couldn’t give any money without harming ourselves. So, fighting the urge to sell our things we no longer needed, I gave our things away to the poor. It was difficult to do because I knew that I could’ve gotten more money back from it, but I decided to test God just to see if it really worked. Mostly we gave my daughter’s clothes she no longer fit into.
You know something interesting? We became so flooded with more clothes for her that it was overflowing her dresser! We actually got so many clothes from random people and family that we had more to give away because there was no way she would wear everything! And in case you’re wondering, we never told anyone that we couldn’t afford clothes for our daughter and we never asked for any. People simply gave it to us for no reason! We were convinced at that point that giving to God meant that we for sure would get back, and we haven’t stopped since.
Do you agree and have some more advice to grace us with? Maybe you disagree? I’d love to hear why. The comments section is wide open for ya!
We’ll be taking a bit of a detour next time and talking about finding the best mortgage companies. I felt it is appropriate for this series anyway and is a guest post, which gives me a much needed break
- Make Your Money Work For You #3: More Money Will NOT Solve Your Problems!
- Make Your Money Work For YOU #4: Treat It Like A Process
- Make Your Money Work For YOU #5: Get Your Priorities Straight
- Make Your Money Work For You #2: The Automatic Millionare Book Review
- Make Your Money Work For You (Series) #1: Rich Dad Poor Dad Book Review