Remember my makeshift pot/pan/spice rack holder?
It desperately needed an upgrade for several reasons:
- People kept running into it making a horribly loud noise all the time.
- I’ve accumulated many more spices than what you see here that really needed a home.
- I really wanted to free up more countertop space.
My knives used to be in a block on the counter behind the stove right next to my cooking utensils:
They were always in my way, and since I am constantly looking to increase my countertop space (especially with such a small kitchen), I couldn’t wait to get them on my wall instead.
Here’s what we did
Like I said before, I’ve been totally inspired by all the useful and pretty things pallets can make. So of course I came up with another use for a pallet in my kitchen:
1. We found a pallet.
2. We painted it:
3. Then hubby cut some small pieces of wood to install under the top piece making a shelf so it would hold our cooking utensils and the like (sorry didn’t get a chance to get a pic of this step :().
4. We used 8 drywall anchors to secure the pallet on the wall:
5. Then we used white cup hooks to hang the pans:
6. And a magnetic knife strip to hang our knives:
And that’s how you get this:
(you can see where we put the shelf under the cooking utensils and pan lids)
The rack I was using I now use only for spices and I hung that next to my pallet. It’s really nice having them all in one spot now instead of spread out all over the place.
Now here’s my countertop:
Booyah! How about them apples, huh?! Now if I could just come up with some way to cover up the back of that ugly stove…
(Disclosure: This post contains my affiliate links)